Following are five choices to reduce your expenses
And still get a respectable sound out of your I/O chain.
Making music is one of the most costly hobbies in the universe. When you’re getting ready to set up a decent home studio, it’s hard to find a way to keep the expenses low without settling with a lousy quality of input and output.
When you get up on a stage to perform your routine or when you are recording your next banger, you need a dependable mic. There is a lot of quick talking and music involved in rap songs. To make sense, the details need to be captured clean. And the rhythm of rap songs needs the warmth and clarity of the best microphones. That fat low end of the condenser mics brings out the strength of your lyrics and the power of your passion. With plenty of microphones available in the market, it is tough to find out the true winners, particularly over varying budgets. So we did the digging for you and picked out the 5 best microphones for recording rap vocals.
These microphones are totally affordable and you can have your hands on them by next week if you have a day job making even minimum wage. Start preparing on which one you want and then get your hands on it to start recording! Be Bright!
1. Samson – C03 Multi-Pattern Condenser Microphone
The Samson C03 is the manufacturer’s first true capacitor microphone. This large-diaphragm mic offers a choice of three pickup patterns, along with switchable low-cut filter and 10dB pad.
- Switchable SuperCardioid, Omni and figure-8 pickup patterns
- Dual 19mm capsule design
- Switchable high-pass filter and 10dB pad
- Gold-plated XLR connectors
Buy Samson C03 Condenser Microphone From Amazon: Click Here!
2. Cad Gxl2200 Cardioid Condenser Microphone
The silver GXL2200 Cardioid Condenser Microphone from CAD features a cardioid polar pattern which effectively minimizes noise and feedback at the off-axis sections of the capsule. The microphone is designed with high sensitivity, linear frequency response, and a low noise floor for capturing vocals and general instruments in broadcast, recording, and sound reinforcement applications. The GXL2200 also features an internal hi-pass filter and includes an elastic shock mount and a protective pouch. The microphone requires 48V of phantom power for operation.
- Operating principle: Externally-biased condenser
- Polar pattern: Cardioid
- Frequency response: 30Hz to 20kHz
- Sensitivity: -36dBV (16mV) at 1 Pa
- Impedance: 75 ohms
Buy CAD GXL2200 Condenser Microphone From Amazon: Click Here!
3. MXL 770 Condenser Cardioid Microphone
The 770 from MXL is a small diaphragm studio condenser microphone with a cardioid polar pattern. The FET output electronics ensure low noise and high output gain. The 770 is suitable for single- and multi-voice recording, as well as capturing instruments such as pianos and strings. This microphone is a great choice for intermediate or new musicians who want a quality condenser mic that won’t break the bank.
- Gold-sputtered, 6-micron and low distortion diaphragm
- FET preamp with balanced output
- Switchable bass cut and -10dB pad
- Legendary MXL sonic characteristics
- Comes with shock mount and rugged carrying case
Buy MXL 770 Condenser Microphone From Amazon: Click Here!
4. Audio-Technica AT2020 Cardioid Condenser Studio Microphone
The Audio-Technica AT2020 Cardioid Condenser Microphone is the ideal mic for home studio applications. With a remarkably low price, cardioid pattern, and specs that put it in the big leagues, it features a custom-engineered, 16mm low-mass diaphragm and smooth 20Hz-20kHz frequency response. The AT2020’s low self-noise is suited to digital recording, plus it has a high 144dB SPL handling.
- The price/performance standard in side-address studio condenser microphone technology Ideal for project/home-studio applications
- High SPL handling and wide dynamic range provide unmatched versatility
- Custom-engineered low-mass diaphragm provides extended frequency response and superior transient response
- Cardioid polar pattern reduces pickup of sounds from the sides and rear, improving isolation of desired sound source
Buy Audio Technica AT-2020 Condenser Microphone From Amazon: Click Here!
5. Lewitt LCT-240 Pro Cardioid Condenser Microphone
The LCT-240 Pro Condenser Microphone from Lewitt is a large-diaphragm cardioid microphone that requires 48V phantom power, and is built with a gold-plated, 3-pin XLR connector. It can be used on all sound sources like vocals, acoustic instruments, amplifiers, drums, and more.
This mic is versatile and suitable to take your recordings to the next level. All basic recording applications can be covered due to its highly nuanced and transparent sound. The LCT-240 Pro microphone includes a stand mount, a foam windscreen, and a carrying pouch.
- Acoustical operating principle- Pressure gradient transducer, permanently polarized | Transducer Ø 17 mm, 0.67 in | Polar pattern Cardioid | Sensitivity 16.7 mV / Pa (-35.5 dBV)
- Dynamic range -123 dB (A) | Max. SPL for 0.5 % THD 142 dBSPL | Equivalent noise level 19 dB (A) | Internal impedance 100 Ω | Rated load impedance 1,000 Ω
- Supply voltage 48 V +/- 4 V | Current consumption 3.1 mA | Connector Gold plated 3-pin XLR | Microphone dimensions 138 x 52 x 36 mm, 5.43 x 2.04 x 1.42 inch | Microphone net weight 310 g / 10.9 oz
Buy Lewitt LCT-240 Pro Condenser Microphone From Amazon: Click Here!
Some tips for recording rap vocals:
Recording rap vocals require you to bring energy and emotion into the song while enunciating. So here are a few tips to get the best track for the mix:
- Getting the right gear is the first step to recording great vocals. This includes the right microphone which flatters your voice. It should be especially capable of bringing the nuances to light. A great preamplifier should partner with the mic.
- Use a pop screen to avoid plosives, popping noises in the track.
- Once you find the right mic and preamp, set up the recording place. This area should be covered in acoustic foam or blankets in most parts. This dampens the noise reflected from the walls and keeps the vocals from sounding boxy. Do not cover the walls completely though. We need some reflection to make the music sound vigorous.
- Having the best rap microphone is not enough. You should know how to use them to your advantage. Vary the distance between yourself and the mic and judge which is the optimum distance for your voice. Usually, loud and raucous rappers should stay 10-15 inches from the mic.
Hope you like this article and share it with your friends and colleagues. If you have any questions or comments, please leave them below.